Day Hospital Services
Day Hospital Referral Form
Rehabilitation Day Hospital
The Rehabilitation Day Hospital program at Perth and Smiths Falls District Hospital is an outpatient program designed for adults requiring ongoing rehabilitation with a purpose to help clients reach their optimal functional level physically, socially and psychologically.
The Rehabilitation Day Hospital program serves Perth, Smiths Falls and surrounding areas.
Using a team approach, our clients are encouraged to be active participants in their respective treatment programs. Together we set goals with the patient/family and plan treatment that aligns with those goals.
The program goal is to provide client/family centered care, dignity, respect and compassion to individuals requiring further rehabilitative services for:
- Brain injury
- Parkinson’s Disease, PSNP
- Peripheral neuropathies
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Communication and swallowing problems
- Memory and cognition
- Prosthetics Training
All referrals are triaged to determine if patients are appropriate for the scope of service available.
Services are covered by OHIP; however, transportation and associated costs are the responsibility of the patient/family.
The duration of the program is dependent upon the reason for referral; however, on average patients attend once or twice a week for eight to twelve weeks. Upon discharge from Day Hospital, a home exercise program is setup for the patient to continue the rehabilitation process independently.
Day Hospital Team Members
Our multidisciplinary team consists of an Occupational Therapist, Physiotherapist and Speech Language Pathologist.
- The patient must be 18 years or older.
- The patient must be medically stable and have sufficient tolerance to participate in the rehabilitation program.
- The patient must have sufficient ability to learn, a willingness to participate in therapy and home exercises.
- The patient must have a functional deficit requiring assessment, education and/or therapeutic intervention by two or more healthcare professionals (Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy, Speech Language Pathology)
- A completed referral signed by the attending physician.
Patients will be discharged from the Rehabilitation Day Hospital program when:
- Rehabilitation goals have been achieved
- A plateau in rehabilitation potential occurs
- Patient’s rehabilitation needs reach the level that they can be appropriately met by other resources (i.e. Home Care, CCAC, home exercise program, community recreation)