Message from the President of the Auxiliary to the Great War Memorial Hospital of Perth District
The Auxiliary to the GWM Hospital of Perth District has been providing dedicated services to the patients, visitors and staff of the Great War Memorial Hospital since 1922. We are very proud of our facility and act as goodwill ambassadors to all those who come through our doors, whether it is someone requiring health services, needing directions to visit a loved one in hospital, or a welcome smile.
We are always looking for new ways to contribute to the success of our facility through our fundraising efforts; operating our Gift Shop, HELPP Lottery and Christmas ‘Fare’; as well as donating thousands of hours of service within our Hospital each and every day.
Our success would not be possible without the loyal and committed support of our community and each and every one of our dedicated volunteers. We work together as a team to strengthen the future of our hospital’s patient care, always striving to improve the services that we provide and the satisfaction of knowing that we are one of the very best facilities in Ontario.
I would like to welcome all new members to the Auxiliary to the Great War Memorial Hospital of Perth District and thank those who have been providing years of dedicated service as we move forward in the exciting and challenging future of healthcare.
Gloria Mears, President (2018-2020)
Auxiliary to the Great War Memorial Hospital of Perth District
**More information can be found in our monthly newsletter: GWM Auxiliary Newsletter – September 2019
**Current Edition of GWM Auxitalk: AUXITALK – AGM – 2019
Why Join the GWM Auxiliary?
Since 1922 the GWM has depended on the support of dedicated volunteers to help it meet the health needs of our community. Your contribution can make a difference!
What We Do?
Our fundraising activities include the Gift Shop, the H.E.L.P.P. Lottery (Hospital Equipment Lottery Project for People), events such as the annual Christmas Fair, the Tourtière fundraiser and Sweet Thursday. Funds raised are donated to the hospital to purchase much needed medical equipment. We also provide bursaries to local students for their post-secondary education.
Auxiliary programs to support our patients include Information Desk/Portering, Meal Assist, Tea & Toast, Crafts/Knitting, Clinics and we will soon have a patient visiting program.
And then there’s the behind the scenes work! This includes everything from maintaining the Garden of Hope in front of the hospital, submitting media articles, events organization, to monitoring and recording of volunteer hours and committee work.
What do you Get in Return?
An opportunity to:
- Discover talents you never knew you had
- Develop new friendships
- Learn new skills
- Offer your skills and expertise to others
- Give back to the community
- Be a member of a caring group of volunteers
- Feel needed and involved
What does the GWM Auxiliary Offer you?
- Free parking
- Training and ongoing education
- Social Events
- New Friends
Join our Team
- Auxiliary members must be at least 14 years old
- To apply, please pick up a volunteer application form at the HR Department at the Perth Site
- Bring or mail the completed application to the Hospital
- Get a police check from your local Police Department. These are generally free for Hospital Volunteers. GWM Hospital policy requires a police check for everyone working or volunteering at the Hospital.
- Once the above steps have been completed, you will be invited to an interview to discuss your interests in our various programs.
- Membership fees are $10.00 per year, payable on joining and thereafter on April 1. Local and Provincial Life Members are exempt from membership fees.